Sunday, May 9, 2010

Shrimp Boil with Corn and Potatoes

It's CRAWFISH Season here in Texas and I HEART the smell of fresh crawfish, corn and potatoes but sometime after my first daughter I just lost the craving for crawfish and it hasn't come back yet.  They say your tastebuds change once every seven years, guess it will be awhile!  So in the meantime I decided to have a shrimp boil with corn and potatoes!



2 lbs. of red potatoes
1 1/2 lbs. of large shrimp
3 ears of corn, shucked and halved
1 medium onion, halved
3-4 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 lemon, halved

  1. Clean and scrub the small red potatoes.  Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil with both halves of medium onion, a lemon halfed and juiced, cloves of garlic and seafood boil season package.
  2. Add potatoes to the pot.  Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until almost done.  Add corn and continue cooking for 5-7 more minutes.
  3. Remove from heat.  Add shrimp, making sure they are submurged and cover to continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. 
  4. Drain the liquid.  Serve on a large platter.  Melted butter and some cayanne pepper are extras that always accompany this meal.  Perfect Mother's Day meal!

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, this looks good. I made our first boil with shrimp and smoked sausage about a month or so ago. I kept the some of the liquid because it was so good, and made the entire house smell yummy. I think I will cook up another batch this weekend.

    ReplyDelete