Monday, April 12, 2010

Fast, No Cook Homemade Strawberry Jam


Since it is Spring and the best fruits are on sale in the grocery store I thought I would make a batch of my homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam and share with you!


You will need 3-4 lbs of fresh strawberries, Ball Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin, 1 1/2 cups of sugar.

Clean and remove the stems and hull of the strawberries.


Cut the strawberries in halves or quarters then mash with a potato masher.  You will have to do this in several batches {it took me 3 batches}.  You will get a very juicy mixture like this...




In a separate bowl stir the Ball Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin with 1 1/2 cups of granulated Sugar.

Next, stir in the crushed/mashed strawberries.  Continue mixing for about 3 minutes.  Fill clean jars with the strawberry jam {don't fill them too high because when you freeze them the contents will expand and may leak out}.  Allow the jars to sit for about 30 minutes so that it will thicken.  Now if you have never had homemade jam it is not as thick as the store bought kind but it is much better tasting!

 I used a combination of  Ball pint wide-mouth glass jars and Ball pint (8 oz) plastic freezer jars.  With 3 pounds of strawberries I was able to make almost 8 pints of jam.  I plan on giving my photographer one tomorrow and maybe share a couple with the neighbors.



Freezer jam will stay good for 1 year in the freezer or up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.  The great thing I love about this receipe, which by the way I found in Parents Magazine last year, is that you can control the amount of sugar in the jam you put in your PB&J's, on toast or wherever you like jam!!  This receipe uses less than half of the sugar found in store bought jellies and jams and it's so easy!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment